While at work, a Texas grandfather was stung by hundreds of bees and died.
While dangling from a tree, the landscape lighting technician came across the gigantic colony by mistake.
According to local media, the employee, Franco Galvan Martinez, was working at a residence in Austin, Texas on Thursday when the event occurred.
The 53-year-old had managed to lose control of the ladder he was using to reach the tree he was working on.
He accidentally triggered the bees from the hive while hanging from the tree.
“I guess he kicked away the ladder in a panic trying to swat away the bees from himself,” priest and family friend Joe Maldonado told local television reporters.
The thousands of bees rushed out of the hive and onto Martinez, still unable to use his ladder and dangling from the tree.
According to Maldonado, there were so many bees that the insects were able to quickly cover Martinez.
Martinez’s coworkers were also stung by the bees during the rescue operations.
According to reports, the agonizing bee attack lasted 10 minutes.
Martinez did not survive when firefighters got on the site and used their hose to spray the insects.
Inspectors from the city are looking into the matter.